It is that time of year again. AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT and AutoCAD with Specialized Toolsets 2021 are out now! All other Autodesk 2021 software should be out soon as well. AutoCAD 2021 still uses the same DWG format as 2018-2020, which is nice. The new features and enhancements are listed below, and some include links to videos and the knowledge base help menu. Since we all have a little extra time on our hands lately, it might be a good time to explore and learn about the new features.
Clients with a current maintenance plan and/or subscription can download 2021 from your Autodesk Account whenever you are ready. However, please check out the System Requirements page for AutoCAD with Toolsets 2021 first, to make sure your machine is compatible. It will include download, installation, activation, update instructions below as well. If you have any questions, please let us know. We are happy to help.
- Login to your Autodesk Account
- Go to “All products & Services”
- Open the contract with your license that you wish to download (>)
- For individual products or Design Suites: Click “view downloads.” For Industry Collections click “view [included] items”
- For Industry Collections: Open the product you wish to download from the list (>) and click “view downloads”
- On the “downloads” tab, choose your release year, platform and language from the drop down. If the big blue button says “install now” or “download now” click “view all” and then click “browser download” If/when the big blue button says “browser download” click it to start the download. Make sure your pop up blocker is set to “always allow” the multiple part file download from this website
- When all of the files are done downloading, go to the folder where the downloads saved (default: “downloads” folder) in File Explorer. Make sure that all of the files in the series are in the folder. You can tell how many parts there are in the series based on the file names. The second number after the 001_ shows how many parts there should be (ie.AutoCAD_Architecture_2021_English_Win_64bit_dlm_001_007.sfx.exe)
- Look at the file names, and double click part “001” to start the extraction. You can tell which is part 001 based on the file name (ie. AutoCAD_Architecture_2021_English_Win_64bit_dlm_001sfx.exe)
- Follow the prompts on the screen to extract the files to your C drive (default: C:\Autodesk)
- After the extraction, the larger installation wizard will pop up. Then click “Install”
- “Accept” the terms and conditions and click “next”
- Click “install” to install to the default location shown, or click “browse” and choose an alternative location, then click “install”
- After the installation is done, just click “launch now”
- Open the software for the first time after the installation
- Follow the prompts on the screen to activate your software. You can tell what type of software activation method your license uses in your Autodesk account on the “all products and services” page, open your software (>) and the information will be listed there. If you have a single user “sign in” license, click “single user” then “sign in.” If you have a single user “serial number” license, click “single user” then “click enter serial number.” If you have a multi user license, click “multi-user”, click “specify license server system”, enter your server name, and click “finish.”
After the installation and activation, please install the latest license service hotfix as well, to ensure there are no licensing errors received after rebooting.
NEW Integration with Google Drive:
Anyone can now open DWG files stored in Google Drive directly in the AutoCAD web app using their Autodesk ID. AutoCAD subscribers are also able to edit and save those files back to their Google Drive, enabling customers to work from anywhere.
NEW Drawing history:
Compare past and present versions of a drawing and see the evolution of your work
NEW Xref compare:
See the changes made to your current drawing from changed external references. Compare two versions of an Xref and implement changes without leaving your current drawing. If a referenced drawing has changed, a clickable notification will automatically display in AutoCAD.
ENHANCEMENTS to the blocks palette:
View and access your blocks content from AutoCAD on desktop or within the AutoCAD web app. The new Libraries tab displays the five most recently used block libraries for faster access.
ENHANCEMENTS to system and graphics performance:
Experience faster save and install times. Leverage multicore processors for smoother orbit, pan, and zoom operations.
- Streamlined Trim and Extend Option
- Revision Cloud Enhancements
- Break Objects at a Single Point
- Measure Geometry Option: Quick Measure
- Drawing History Support (Subscription benefit)
- Touch Screen Enhancements
- Security Enhancements
- AutoLISP Improvements
Please let us know if you have any questions. We are happy to help! ATG Technical support can be reached at 1-888-615-0677 or email@example.com. Thank you for reading. Take care!